Leeds Theosophical Society
Theosophy in Leeds
Leeds Theosophical Society holds regular, free, public lectures. We invite all those of goodwill whatever their nationality or opinions. Programme of Events
A Short history compiled for the Centenary of Leeds Theosophical SocietyAlfred R. Orage (1873 - 1934) with others, founded the Lodge on 19 September 1900, and was its first President. Orage produced his own journal - The New Age - for many years. George Bernard Shaw said that Orage was the most brilliant editor that England had produced for a hundred years. While T. S. Eliot wrote of him as the "finest critical intelligence of our day."
Orage ran a variety of study groups. One of these included Dr Maurice Nicholl - one of Dr Carl Jung's foremost exponents. In 1914 Orage met P. D. Ouspensky, by 1920 they had begun a group in the western world studying Gurdjieff's ideas and in 1924, Orage went to New York with Gurdjieff. He organised groups to study Gurdjieffís ideas and demonstrate sacred dance. He returned to England in 1932 whereupon he founded the New English Weekly. Orage died in November 1934 at the age of 61.
Leeds Lodge had no permanent home for its first ten years of operation. Between 1911 and 1917 the Lodge purchased numbers 12 to 14 Queen Square for the sum of £1,350. In the 1920s the premises were extended and major alterations undertaken at a cost of £450. This was to increase the size of the lecture hall so that it could seat 200 to 300 people.
It was only through the hard work of three Leeds Lodge officers that the Lodge is in such a secure position today. They were: Mrs Annie Hyde, who was President for ten very difficult years (1929 - 39); Mr Foulds, the Secretary and Mr Fielding, the Treasurer. Our gratitude goes out to these three members. Loving service has also been given by many members in more recent years.
Leslie Bolton was the longest serving member, as Secretary in 1962 and as Treasurer from 1963 to 1983. Cyril Solomon was President from 1961 to 1963 and from 1964 to 1978.
Leeds Theosophical Society's distinguished writer, Geoffrey Farthing, was the Lodge's longest standing member. He joined the Theosophical Society in England through Leeds Lodge in 1945 and was its Treasurer, 1950 - 1954.
THE PATH AND ZODIAC WINDOWS
The Zodiac Windows were situated at the entrance of 14 Queen Square which was the Lecture Hall. They were taken out of this position about 1933 and stored in the Lodge cellar for a period of about 66 years.
The Path is a Peace Window produced to commemorate the end of World War I. The window cost £100 and is to this day situated in the Leeds Lodge Library.
There is a great deal of beautiful poker work in the Lodge building which has to be seen to be appreciated. This makes a very fine display in the art nouveau style.
You are welcome to attend out meetings and come along to view our beautiful building.
Page last modified on: